Thursday 20 September 2012

A Sad Story

It happened a few weeks ago and I really wasn't expecting it. In fact I was feeling rather pleased with myself at the time. I had just taken out Maddie, a dog I describe as a cross between a huskie and a horse (she is a specific pedigree but I can't for the life of me what she is). She has been in the animal centre for a while and she and I have developed quite a rapport. That particular day I had successfully taught her the command "stay" and she seemed to have taken it to heart.

Then I saw it. At first only out of the corner of my eye. I thought I was mistaken but when I turned around, sure enough, there he was. A golden labrador. If you haven't already guessed, I have an enormous soft spot for lab's. Although I've never owned one, I've grown up around them and just think they're the most magnificent dogs. Of course I had to go over and say hello. As I got closer I could see he was an old boy. His back legs looked very unsteady and he was very slow in his movement. I also think his eyesight was on the turn. When I tried to feed him a treat through the wire mesh of his enclosure he obviously realised there was a treat there but was having great difficulty locating it. He was also not liking kennels at all. His tail was tucked firmly between his legs and he was shaking slightly.

Apparently he was found wondering near a road. The man who brought him in said he almost hit him. As there was no sign of an owner, he took the dog home overnight and then brought him into the rescue centre the next day. Well it went a way to restoring some of my faith in humanity.

Anyway, I found the person responsible for that section of the sanctuary and checked it was ok to go in and get to know Henry (as he was later christened by the centre) better. He was very nervous to start with. The application of numerous treats and some gentle soothing sounds meant his confidence built up and soon he was looking much more comfortable and confident. I sat with him in his enclosure for about 20 minutes just stroking him and talking to him. He was still far from a happy dog when I left but the tail was beginning to twitch in something resembling a wag and his body language was far more relaxed.

I wish I could give you a fairytale ending for this story but at the moment I can't. His owners haven't come forward despite attempts by the sanctuary staff to raise awareness of his presence. He does seem much happier in himself now. He has been put on medication for his legs and is now much more sprightly in his movement. He also seems to have settled down in the centre much more and become one of the local characters doted on by everyone. Henry is now a much more confident and happy dog but he could still do with a loving home. If he isn't already available for adoption from the centre then he will be soon. When that happens I will publish details as best I can. He really is a lovely dog with a wonderful nature and would bring someone a lot of happiness.

JR

No comments:

Post a Comment